We Protect More Than Wildlife, We Protect People.
Houston is one of the fastest-growing, most dynamic cities in the United States. Now boasting 2.2 million residents and encompassing 630 square miles, the city continues to grow to the west and northwest where land is available. This land, called the Katy Prairie, is critical to wildlife and to people.
In addition to creating habitat for wildlife, the prairie-wetlands, ranches, creeks, and other green spaces on the prairie slow water heading downstream towards Houston, providing time for floodwaters to recede. As these prairie lands shrink, so does the ability to protect downstream citizens. This is why KPC is working with others to protect these lands. In addition, we are working with others on programs that will help alleviate future downstream flooding.
We believe in safeguarding wildlife. We believe in fostering a healthy community. We believe in Houston.
How KPC is Leading on Flood Issues
Read About Connections between the Katy Prairie and Houston's Flood Issues
- Lockport Union Sun & Journal article Houstonians question if the will to change can last as Harvey flooding ebbs 09.13.17
- KHOU 11 News segment Experts: New way of thinking needed to reduce flooding risk 09.12.17
- Dallas News article As Houston grew, officials ignored 'once-in-a-lifetime' chance to spare thousands from flooding 09.05.17
- Times-Tribune article Houston will emerge anew in Harvey’s aftermath 09.03.17
- WRAL article Booming Houston built over land meant for flood projects 09.02.17
- Quartz Media article A Texan solution to Texas’s climate change problem 09.02.17
- New York Times article A Storm Forces Houston, the Limitless City, to Consider Its Limits 08.30.17
- BuzzFeed article Houston’s Urban Sprawl Meant Harvey Was A Disaster Waiting To Happen 08.30.17
- Washington Post article Houston's Wild West Growth 08.29.17
- Texas Tribune article Analysis: Four things Houston-area leaders must do to prevent future flooding disasters 08.29.17
- Quartz Media Article Wet Lands need Wetlands 08.29.17
- The Guardian article Houston fears climate change will cause catastrophic flooding: 'It's not if, it's when' 06.16.17
- Houston Chronicle article How to Fix the Houston Floods 12.31.16
- ProPublica article Boom Town, Flood Town 12.07.16
- Houston Chronicle article Houston's Development Boom and Reduction of Wetlands Leave Region Flood Prone 07.22.16